Saturday, June 4, 2011

Can I replace 1 strange shaped 3 slot receptacle where the average household outlet (2 plug-in type) exists?

I had to buy a strange shaped receptacle for a tanning bed we just bought. The bed uses 110V, not 220V like some more powerful beds. Can I wire it into a regular grounded household receptacle box? I%26#039;m thinking the situation is similar to having to change the pigtail of a clothes dryer so it will fit the strange receptacle, or changing the receceptacle to fit the pigtail. I%26#039;ve done that. Of course, I%26#039;m not an electrician or anywhere close to a pro at this or I would not be asking such a simple question; but, I am reasonably smart when it comes to following instructions. Too, I am proud of my humility. (HA!)|||The different shape you mention I am assuming is to do with which way the blades are facing? If so, they represent different amps required for the appliance.


15 amp is the usual side by side like the number 11. 20 amps have the blades at 90% to each other like this I-


and higher amped units may have the blades flat across but still side by side, like a pair of dashes - -.


Problem would not be on replacing the outlet, but weather the wire in the wall and the circuit breaker will hold up to the higher draw needed by the tanning bed. Good luck.|||wow, i wouldnt wire it up unless the directions say it is ok. there should be requirements listed in the manual???|||If it calls for 110V, then I%26#039;d change the receptacle out after turning the circuit breaker off. How many amps does the tanning bed require? What amp breaker is on that particular circuit? Things to consider.|||Yes, ( if you are sure it is now 110V ) Those odd ones are for 220V(it is protection so that you don%26#039;t accidently plug a 110 into the 220. But I would suggest to go for the 3 prong plug.|||You just bought a adapter to convert new to old.





Nobody is going to fry. The adapter just converts 3 prongs to 2.





Think about upgrading, for the future if 110 v or 220.





Now 220 has one ground prong just below are 2 prongs laying horizonitaly side by side.





I%26#039;m thinken they can%26#039;t sell a adapter that will cross 110 to 220 so your safe.|||DONT DO THAT! What you need is a Voltage converter from european to American Standard