Friday, September 23, 2011

Affectionate term in Spanish for Stepmother?

My kids, 8 and 11, are generally not permitted to address adults by their first names even if the adult requests it (call me old fashioned).



I remarried a couple years ago after a divorce. My wife is Mexican (actually dual nationallity). We speak both Spanish and English in the home and definitely maintain both cultures. Her kids (from her prior marriage are grown but to us they are Mija and Mijo). My kids are much younger, refer to their natural mother as Mom and we have no intention of having that change. Since we started dating, to my kids my wife was %26quot;Miss Nita%26quot;. But over the years Miss Nita sounds more and more wierd.



For my son, the otherwise perfectly acceptalbe term mamacita, or little mother, is uncomfortable. What other Spanish terms are their for something like little mother or step-mom (my wife hates madrastra)? My wife is at a loss because ours is the only blended families in her background.



I might add that both kids adore my wife because she has an utterly unflappable and kind demeanor. They began calling her %26quot;Not Mom%26quot; because because their natural mother is very volitile and has a bad temper. I immediately stopped that because I they were using it in a way that I thought was disrespectful to their natural mother. So we are all looking for a diminutive for stepmom that preserves the Mexican culture and does not in any way denigrate or diminish the role of their natural mother. Keep in mind, however, that them using her first name will not be acceptable until they are quite a bit older.



The point is, all of us, kids included are looking for something affectionate so the evil stepmom concept doesn%26#039;t exist in our situation. All other good faith suggestions are welcome.|||You should let them call her by her first name. It%26#039;s not disrespectful.
  • data into xsds
  • database
  •