Friday, September 23, 2011

In the state of Michigan, is my landlord required to provide me with a copy of my lease?

I have lived in an apartment for two years. When we first signed our lease in 2006, we were provided with a copy of our lease that we and our landlord had signed. We renewed our lease in 2007, and were required to resign our lease. We were never provided with the new copy. Shortly after that, the management company for the apartment complex changed. When the 2007-2008 leasing period began, one of my roommates requested a copy of her lease, she was told no, and someone in the office actually told her that a signed, written copy of her lease did not even exist. I find it almost impossible to believe that this refusal to provide tenants with copies of lease agreements is legal. What can I do about this? Is there anywhere I can find Michigan laws regarding this so that I can cite them when I speak with my landlord in regards to this situation?|||To learn more about housing rights in Michigan and where to get help:



Consult the Michigantenants.org website for local housing resources and tenant counseling services.



Consult the Michiganlegalaid.org website for legal education articles and local service information.



Since the old lease has expired and is no longer valid and you have signed a new lease the landlord I believe is required to provide a copy to you. I think someone is snowing you.|||I can%26#039;t imagine any state would allow one party of a contract to withhold the contract from the other party. You are certainly entitle toa copy of your lease. How can you know what it says if you don%26#039;t have it?



If your last signed lease expired, you don%26#039;t have a lease. No lease, you%26#039;re a month-to-month tenant. In real estate, there%26#039;s no such thing as verbal...not verbal anything. If it%26#039;s not in writing, it doesn%26#039;t exist.



There%26#039;s some department in your town or county that deals with landlord/tenant issues. Call the mayor%26#039;s office or the county administrator%26#039;s office and ask for the number of whoever takes care of that. Your local elected officials can also tell you who to call with almost anything of this nature.
  • formal hair
  • dvd movies case
  •