Thursday, September 15, 2011

Should I take the new job...or keep the existing?

Ok here is the situation.



Current position. We are a small team (4 of us) of creatives and the company has been going for a little over three years now. There are two directors and I was the 3rd employee after having done work for one of the directors for a few years. Over the past few months the morale and general feeling has continually dropped lower and lower - it has gone from me being eager to go in, to looking for every opportunity to work from home - just so I dont have to sit in the office. The problem is the directors like to visit the local pub every lunchtime and that is where they make business decisions....not the best of places! It has become more and more apparent that any 'work' is not wanted to be undertaken by one director, to the point where we are all unsure if what his role and responsibilities are - he is supposed to be an account handler, but does this by leaving job briefings until the last minute causing chaos and frustration (especially if the job has been knocking around for two months and on the last week he decides that this is when to brief it in).



That said, the money is ok, I get a company pension package, a bonus every year and guaranteed a pay review 12 monthly.



The 'New' Position. My best friend has been working for this company for six year, and I have worked there once for a year and a half and after going through some tough times (resizing from approx 40 to 6), they have now steadied the company and have remoulded the way it works, what its offering is and made it a much more viable company looking into the future. Lessons have been learned. They have a new position which I have been 'head hunted' to a degree (albeit with the help of my friend - unbeknown to me). The offering is a less varied roll as I would just be focusing on the companies requirements as opposed to working for multiple clients, nonetheless it would be a challenge and I would be very much involved in helping make decisions for the company in terms of strategy, promotion, identity as well as the main role which is designing and developing the website, around which the company is now based. The money is still to be discussed, but it will be in the same region, however, without bonuses or the pension plan.



I thought I had made my mind up, but my wife is unsure about the change, which has naturally thrown me into confusion and not knowing which way to proceed.



While I am not asking anyone here to make the decision for me, I would be very grateful for any helpful comments people may have. If you want to ask me any questions, then I would be only too happy to provide answers.



Help. Please. :)
Should I take the new job...or keep the existing?
It may be a cliche but is nonetheless true - your health and happiness are what matters here. It doesn't sound as though you are at all happy at the moment and the longer it goes on the worse it will get for you AND your wife. The new position may be less varied but it sounds as though you are interested in it. Your current company may not even exist by the time you retire so is it worth clinging on just for the money? My husband and I have both had jobs in the past which have driven us nearly to distraction and despite (financial) hardship we both decided to move on. We are now much better off, both physically and mentally. It's important that you sit down with your wife and have a long discussion about it - there's nothing worse than dreading work every day.
Should I take the new job...or keep the existing?
Hello,



You have explained the general feel of both firms. However, you did not mention any detailed job description.



Anyway, as an HR generalist, I would advise you to go and work someplace where you would feel challenged. Why not opt for a third option? Aiming for companies with more levels and positions would get you motivated to climb up the company's ladder. However, when you are working with a small team and it's just about where you can get, I do not see how this would help.



It's one of two friend, if you are someone who likes stability, has a house and a lot of expenses, I think you would not move out of the current job. However, if you think you can take on new challenges and cope with any coming barriers (baring in mind your new job does not have a bonus - no reward for work- or pension plan), then you might think of trying a new job.



Contact me if you would like to discuss this over.



Best,

A.M.