Friday, September 23, 2011

Remembering a traumatic event?

About four years ago my mom got very angry at me, yelled, and slapped me. I have never forgotten that moment. Another time, two years ago, she yelled at me for being socially awkward and basically attacked my personality, hitting a soft spot(cause I know I%26#039;ve always been shy). Those events were traumatic for me because they made me feel so depressed.

Now my mom has definitely calmed down and would never slap me, but whenever she gets angry it always reminds me of those events and then I start to anticipate a slap or extreme yell. Sometimes even when I%26#039;m talking to my mom about an uncomfortable but everyday situation(like changing my major) I remember those events.

Are these what Fraud would call repressed events that will always exist in my psyche? Is it possible to completely get over them? Are they even repressed events because I remember them so well? Will they become hidden in my unconscious one day and still continue to effect me?|||you%26#039;re really sensitive to be so affected by those... I would say time should make it better... really, hon. what you describe is uncomfortable yet really not so horrible. your mom loves you %26amp; you know it- let the past go.|||If it bothered you a lot for a very long time, I doubt you will ever foget it. However, I know that you can come to terms with those negative experiences and move on. You can always let your mother know how her behavior (especially slapping part) affected you. May be she will apologize or may be she will deny it. Who knows? But, as long as you come to terms with her actions and become a stronger person, you will be fine.|||They aren%26#039;t repressed because you remember them. And I doubt the will be hidden in you subconscious unless purposely try to put it out of your mind. But what you should do it talk to your mom. Let her know what she did and how it affected you. Then you should practice letting it go. Parents aren%26#039;t perfect and they say and do hurtful things.But you have to move on with your life. It is hard. I%26#039;m not saying its not but forgive her and you will feel peace. Remember forgiveness is for you NOT for her.|||Talk to your mom about it. Tell her how bad it made you feel, and how everyday you still struggle from those events. She will apologize a lot, and you%26#039;ll forget about it.
  • hair straightener
  • handling exceptions
  •