Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How do you exist in a relationship with a "work-a-holic"?

All work and little play leaves so many gaps in the relationship. Sometimes just finishing a conversation can be a problem. But when there is a lull in business - you are the one he chooses to be with. It won't change - unless he wants to change himself so you have to accept him for who he is or move on. I'm all for acceptance, I can let him be %26quot;him%26quot; in the relationship but I still personally struggle with the communication and understanding aspects of the situation. So I need to resolve these issues within myself for the relationship to succeed. Anyone been here? Anyone found a solution?
How do you exist in a relationship with a %26quot;work-a-holic%26quot;?
I am sort of in this now. I just stay busy and appreciate the fact that I am still with someone who loves me and cares about me and is working for a future together. He has goals and aspirations and I have time to myself and with my friends. It does get lonely - but I spend a lot of my time doing things I love and I am fine with that. He appreciates that too. It is hard at times though. I know.
How do you exist in a relationship with a %26quot;work-a-holic%26quot;?
Yeah, we could get together and start a support group for gals with workaholics.... and then we'll just work all the time on our group and be just like them... ha ha. I think I might be serious about this. ha ha.

Report Abuse


I work in the legal profession too... you would think we could understand workaholics by now, right?

Report Abuse


Accept him as he is or reject him.
Don't have kids with him. You will be a single parent without the luxury of dating. I was married to one and we eventually divorced. We get along really well, which is good because we have kids, but he still disappoints me and puts work first. He will never change, but that is not really a solution. Just know he will never change. And when you forget that - remember again - he. will. never. change. So if you are OK with it - then good for you, I couldn't hang.