Thursday, September 15, 2011

Who here had their name change during the naturalization process.?

I had my name change about 6 years ago but I lost my document that proves that I changed my name. I can't convince any place that name use to be my name so before 2000, I don't exist. If you are in the same situation or have any information please help. Maybe it says something on your name change document, like where was it filed, or a number to call on the paper.
Who here had their name change during the naturalization process.?
To get a copy of the documents you lost which contained your original name, you can request a copy of your entire immigration file from the government by filling out a request form through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Ask specifically for your immigration documents. I suggest using the government's own site for your request:

http://www.foiarequest.org/
Who here had their name change during the naturalization process.?
I changed my name, but not during naturalization. I know that if I want a copy of my document I can go to the county clerk of the county in which I changed my name.



My mom changed her name during naturalization, but it was so long ago that there really aren't any records of her old name anywhere. My guess is, though, that you can go to the county clerk. If they can't help you, they should be able to refer you to the right place.



Also, try the link below. It will lead you to the INS (immigration and naturalization service.) They will definitely be able to tell you how to get a copy of your documentation.