Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Have massive credit card debt, now sickly and only have social security as income?

Here is my situation. Previously I ran my own business, considered self employed with no holdings or property etc. I had credit cards that are in my name as personal accounts. My debt is over $25,000 I had no problem paying the payments before, and far beyond the minimum, and at times would pay them off within 2 or 3 months of charging on them. Unfortunately, my personal situation changed and my health is very poor (congestive heart failure and cardio myopothy) and am 64 and soley existing on Social Security at this time, of $725.00 monthly. The only reason my social security is this small of an amount, is prior to my being divorced several years ago, I did not work, my spouse did, so this amount was based on what I had paid into social security. I am unable to work, donnot own any property or a vehicle,have nothing of real value at this time other than my clothes and minimal household items and I reside in a High rise, and unfortunately have no way of paying these credit cards that I have stop paying on some time ago. I do have a checking account which my social security is deposited into. What should I do? I honestly cannot afford an attorney, and my health issues make it difficult for me to get out and about as well. What could happen to me? Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated. I was always one who was able to pay my bills, and never worried about things, so as embarrassing as this, is this is my situation.|||You may be able to collect off your ex-spouse%26#039;s social security. check the links.|||Its easy, Just find an Attorney that will accept a Credit Card as payment.|||call the credit card companies and ask them to work with you on your current situation. tell them you need to close your accounts and pay a small amount every month like 5-10 dollars. if they won%26#039;t accept that, tell them they will get nothing at all. then don%26#039;t pay them. it will take about 2 years for them to take you to court if they decide to, and in the meantime will call you constantly trying to get the money. but don%26#039;t give in. tell them you are disabled, on a fixed income, and you will pay what you can. if they end up suing you, then take a court appointed lawyer or just represent yourself. my husband ended up getting sued by his credit card company in the same situation. they sent a representative who had to drive several hours to our small town for court, but in the end, the judge sided with my husband. my husband argued that he had tried to work with the company to pay back the debts and they wouldn%26#039;t work with him. so the judge ordered my husband to pay %26quot;what he could%26quot; which ended up being 10.00 a month until the debt is paid off. well, the debt was like 10K so he%26#039;ll be paying on it until he dies, but so what. it got the company off his back and there is nothing further they can do about it.|||HI



I think you can get a free advice from your local council(government) dept. My opinion you can go for bankruptcy, because you don%26#039;t have any job or asset to settle you debt and already your credit in bad shape



Regards



clearyourloan.co.uk|||If you do not own any property and your only income is social security, you have nothing to worry about because your creditors can not touch your social security. Only the IRS has that power. If they continue to call, just send a cease and desist letter. If they still call after that, contact your phone co and have them put a tap on your phone. Once they call again, they%26#039;ll have a bigger problem to deal with.|||You could file bankruptcy (make sure you only file for Chapter 7, or liquidation), but in reality you don%26#039;t have to.



You are what they call judgment proof. Your creditors could sue you, but they cannot garnish fixed income and you don%26#039;t have material assets to levy or seize, so they really could only harass you. BUT - you could send them a cease communications letter, so that they can%26#039;t even do that. Here%26#039;s a free do it yourself site with those letters and things: http://www.bills.com/debt-DIY/



You should, honestly, probably evaluate your options with a local attorney, but be sure to tell them that you are judgment proof and if you can just ignore the debt.



Hang in there.
  • finger nails blue
  • identifying rows
  •